During this stay home and stay safe period for the Coronavirus, this easy one-bowl vegan banana bread has been my go-to comfort food! Baking has made a big comeback during this difficult time, bringing some happiness to your day – and what could be better than easy & delicious!
I have made this banana bread several times in the last month, it’s been a real winner. My favorite way to make it is with the candied toasted walnuts on top! But mixing in 1/2 cups chocolate chips into the batter and then sprinking some on top before baking is pretty freaking good too! This recipe freezes really well too, see the recipe notes for storage info.
Easy one-bowl vegan banana bread
- 4 ripe Bananas, medium to medium large
- 216 g (1¼ cup) Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Oil, I use canola*
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1½ Tbs Flax seed meal
- 5 Tbs Water
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Allspice, optional
- 240 g All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
Walnut Topping (optional)
- ¾ cup Chopped Walnuts
- 24 g (¼ cup) Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs Plant-based Butter, room temp
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour two 9" loaf pans. In a
- In a medium mixing bowl, add bananas and brown sugar and whisk well (will be liquidy but some banana chucks are ok). Add oil, vanilla and flax seed and water. Whisk very well and let sit for a minute.
- Add in Cinnamon, allspice, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly whisk together until very well combined. Pour equal halves of the batter in the pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out the center clean.
- For optional walnut topping: In the same bowl that you prepared the batter, add the walnuts brown sugar and butter. The easiest way to combine the ingredients is to just use your hands and really squish them together. After the bread has baked for 20- 25 minutes, sprinkle the walnut mixture evenly on top of each loaf. Bake another 10-12 minutes with the walnuts on top. Note – do not bake the walnuts more than 12ish minutes or they will start to burn.
- Let bread cool and serve!